The National, Abu Dhabi
Photo Editor – Business / House & Home / Night Desk October 2008 – June 2017
- Photo editor for the Business section, which entailed working with editors and reporters to obtain the best quality images possible for our daily and weekend coverage.
- Assigned and managed online-only photo content for the digital edition.
- Gained the top number of web hits for over two years, garnering over ten million page views.
- As photo editor assigned to the evening and weekend desks:
- Responsible for the photographic coverage of the entire paper, including online, spot news, sport, international, and local sections.
- As the lead photo editor for the eight-section Saturday paper:
- Coordinated coverage for all sections.
- Organized and assigned photo shoots for the award-winning House & Home weekly.
- Coached junior photographers to capture more compelling news images.
- Built an extensive contact list of freelance photographers.
Bloomberg News, London
Photo Editor for EMEA July 2005 – September 2008
- Worked with news editors and reporters to assess stories that would work best photographically, assigned photographers, edited digital images, wrote photo captions, delivered photo planners, advisories and pictures to our clients.
- Collaborated with the programming team to establish a photo assignment ticketing system within the Bloomberg Terminal; this significantly improved workflow management, productivity, and accountability.
- Selected as the photo coordinator for the Bloomberg/IHT project launched in 2006.
- On-site photo editor for the Paris and Farnborough International Air Shows.
- Features and Arts photo editor for the EMEA region.
The News Journal, Wilmington, Delaware
Director of Photography August 2002 – July 2005
- Restructured the photo department for Delaware’s largest newspaper, improved the quality of the photo report, made essential hires, upgraded photo equipment, supervised nine staff members, submitted bi-annual budgets, and created a standard for photo captions.
- Part of the team who developed the new high-end magazine ‘Signature Brandywine.’
- Collaborated with online editors to train photographers to shoot video for a new webcast.
- Worked with Wilmington city officials to better communications with police and fire personnel.
The New York Times, New York, New York
Photo Editor April 2001 – July 2002
- Late photo editor after 9/11, which required constant changes under a tight deadline.
- Edited film and digital images, assigned photographers to stories and assisted designers with page layouts for all sections, most notably the Metro, National and Foreign sections.
New York Times Digital, New York, New York
Photo Editor October 1997 – April 2001
- Proposed and implemented the Photos section (now Multimedia).
- Head of the fledgling online photo department. Responsibilities included improving the structure of the department by making essential hires to fit the needs of the newsroom and supervised day-to-day operations of the department, including four staff members.
- Contributed to the design of photo essays and multimedia presentations.
- Developed departmental policies and procedures, including usage rights and permissions.
- Furthered communications with the Picture Desk of the newspaper.
Moore College of Art & Design, Bachelor of Fine Arts in Photography
AWARDS AND TRAINING
- The Maine Photographic Workshops
- NPPA’s Visual Edge at Poynter Institute
- The Stan Kalish Picture Editing Workshop
- NPPA Digital Imaging Workshop
- 2009 – Society of Newspaper Design: Award of Excellence – Four awards for House & Home, one award for the Business section (the first in this category for Business).
- 2008 – Society of Newspaper Design: Silver Award Best Feature Design
- 2005 – 2006 – Bloomberg Best awards. Three in 2005, one in 2006.
- 2003 – 2004 – Received Gannett quarterly awards.
- 2003 – Photo department won first place in Chesapeake AP Editorial Awards.